What is the commissioning process?
- We have outlined the design and commissioning process in more detail under the Commissioning section of our site. If you would like to find out more, or have any further questions, please give us a call on 0879488716
How much does our furniture cost?
- The cost of our furniture can vary and very much depends on the individual piece of furniture, the size, the materials used, and the number of hours required to make it. If you would like to discuss your budget with us, please contact us.
How long does it take to design a piece of furniture?
- This is often under estimated, and it is crucial to allow sufficient time for this essential stage especially if it is bespoke. We typically allow 2-3 weeks for the design stage,
Will you visit my home to see the room the furniture is to design for?
- Yes, we arrange the initial meeting to take place in your home. However, in cases where this this is not possible or viable, we will always ask for photographs of the room where your furniture will be housed.
How much input do I get in the design?
- Some of our clients have more input than others in the design process, depending on whether you have strong ideas or whether these are looser and more general. We work in close collaboration with our clients, and always listen carefully to your requirements.
How long does it take to make a piece of furniture?
- Again, this can vary and is largely dependent on the type and complexity of project. We work on projects than can be manufactured in just 2 weeks right the way up to 12+ weeks. We will always be able to give you a more detailed time frame and schedule once a design has been finalised. Please see our commissioning process section for further guidance.
Would you be making the piece of furniture?
- Yes, we make all our furniture here in our workshop in Fethard on Sea.
Can I come and visit your workshop and see my piece being made?
- Yes of course – we positively encourage it at any stage of your project. Please contact us to make an appointment.
How big is your business, and how many people do you employ?
- We are a small, friendly and reliable team of made up of cabinet makers who all work diligently to create our bespoke furniture.
How long have you been running your business?
- Shane studied Furniture design & manufacture in GMIT Letterfrack, Co Galway before gaining a couple of years experience in the furniture industry, Shane then started his own furniture business in September 2009.
Is my commission a one-off?
- Not necessarily. If you would like it to be a one-off we are more than happy to work on those terms but please be aware the design and development time must be recuperated on a single piece, so it does come at a premium. Typically speaking most bespoke designs will be a limited edition of between 1 and 10. The exact volume will be agreed before production commences.
Do you deliver?
- Your furniture is delivered by us – This allows us ensure a safe delivery and installation. For deliveries outside Ireland please contact us directly.
Where are you based and how do I get there?
- We are based in Fethard on Sea, New Ross, Co Wexford, Ireland. please visit our Contact page or get in touch.
Where do you source your hardwood?
- Wood is a mysterious material to work with. It moves, cracks and warps. Understanding the forces within a piece of wood is a vital part of furniture making
- All furniture made at Shane Tubrid Furniture By Design use’s kiln dried hardwoods sourced from Ireland, Europe and America which is all sourced from environmentally managed forests.
What types of woods can be used?
- We use a wide variety of Hardwoods, which include Oak, Ash, Walnut, Beech, Cherry, Maple and Sycamore along with a variety of exotic veneers which can include burls and ripple effects.
What types of finish can be used?
- This depends on the project at hand, most of our furniture is finished with either a heat resistant acrylic clear lacquer or a hand rubbed Hard-Wax Oil finish, we are continuously exploring different finishing techniques and processes.